Friday, January 29, 2010

Distraction - The Holidays!


I had thoughts and experiences about downsizing during the holidays, but I was too busy getting ready for parties to write anything! I had a smattering of parties among my local friends, plus my husband's work party and a party my brother was giving in NYC for his 40th anniversary. It was the New York party and the work party that distracted me. I wanted to look good for both parties, and I wanted to be warm in NYC. The goals turned into a fashion fiasco!

I tried on everything I owned, and I found a dress I had bought on a lark in high school that I honestly thought was very weird back then but that I have always loved. I used to wear the dress with long boots, and boots are in this year, only with very short skirts. So, I bought a pair of short boots and shortened the dress to look good. I loved the outfit! But my kids said it might not be appropriate for a conservative party.

So then it became all about the boots! I wanted to wear the cool short boots. So, to be fashionable, I would need a skirt just the right amount of short or a pair of skinny pants and a top that would work with them. I shopped and shopped and shopped. Mall, outlet mall, online, individual stores: everywhere! I shopped for skinny pants and tops, for dresses to go with leggings and short boots, and for accessories that would go with my standard "little black dress,."

My dear friend, Linda, who is the smallest of them all, loaned me 2 black dresses that are a little big for her. One was a little tight and very short but provided a gorgeous, classy, and warm dressy outfit. The other was a little dull but comfortable and warm.

After shopping, I had bought a bunch of things: pants, tops to go with pants, a jacket for my dress, purple patterned leggings... I tried everything on with everything!

For one of the local parties, I wore my old dress with the boots. I got lots of comments and compliments. Some people immediately knew it was a dress from the old days; that impressed me! It was a lot of fun. But I decided to go more conservative with the other parties.

I don't remember what I put together for the office party! I really don't! I was deciding up to the last minute, and I wore a short dressy jacket. I wore the boots, and I think I might have worn the skinny pants. It was not a standout outfit, but I felt like I looked good, respectable, and respectful.

For New York, I went with my standard black dress with the new short velvet jacket I had bought, and regular shoes. I looked fine. People were fairly conservative there, as my sister-in-law had told me they would be. I looked fine and fit in.

I like to fit in, though sometimes I like to stand out a bit!

These clothing considerations were the biggest distraction and time-sucker of the holidays! I spent a lot of time cooking for parties and going to parties, too. It was a fun time! But, I can't help wondering what I might have gotten "done" if it hadn't been for my frantic fashion frenzy!

No comments: